As we begin August and anticipate the start of the fall school term, many of our students, their families, and our school leaders and teachers are anxious.
This fall term will be unlike any seen in our lifetimes. COVID-19 hijacked the school calendar, and most schools will at least start instruction either exclusively or partially as they ended school in June—online. Extracurricular activities will be non-existent. Many of our schools are uncertain how they will fare financially. Many of our parents are either unemployed or have had their hours or pay reduced. And, each of our students is faced with uncertainty, challenges, and temptation to fear the future.
God tells us in Scripture that he is “our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble” (Psalm 46:1). He encourages us to come to him with the things that trouble us, and he promises to listen, and to respond.
Please join us here at Jubilee in praying for out students and schools this month, by praying as follows—and however the Lord leads.
Pray for our students’…
- Physical safety, that they would not be injured in violence in their neighborhoods, and that they would not contract or transmit COVID-19
- Emotional health, as many see their neighborhoods scarred by violence, looting, closed businesses, and graffiti
- Self-image, as many black and brown students live in the self-awareness of racial inequality
- Provision, as many families are still unemployed or underemployed, and may be facing eviction or food insecurity
- Recreation, as city pools and playgrounds remain closed
- Spiritual health, that they will remember they are loved by Jesus, even when their circumstances are difficult
- Learning, that the summer slide that so frequently impacts students would not be made worse this year by the shortened school year
- Relationships to our schools, that all of our students would re-enroll for the fall even if parents are unable to pay any tuition
- Protection during the summer from abusive behaviors around them. Incidents of physical, emotional, and sexual abuse of minors all increase during times of stress and anxiety.
Pray for our schools…
- That the Lord would provide for their financial needs this year, and that they wouldn’t have to furlough any teachers or staff
- That the Lord would make it clear to our schools’ leaders exactly how and when to resume classes
- That the Lord would grant teachers with wisdom, patience, creativity, and joy as they begin the fall term using online platforms to interact their students
- That school leaders would receive godly wisdom and intuition to know how to budget and otherwise plan for the rest of this year
- That our schools’ leaders and teachers would remain firmly rooted and grounded in the Lord, and resist the temptation to fear or become discouraged
Tim Geiger (M.Div.) is Executive Director of Children's Jubilee Fund. Born and raised in Philadelphia, Tim has lived in or around the city most of his life. His undergraduate studies done at the Community College of Philadelphia, Tim went on to earn a Master of Divinity Degree from Westminster Theological Seminary. He is ordained as a Teaching Elder in the Presbyterian Church in America. Prior to serving at Children's Jubilee Fund, Tim worked for the Internal Revenue Service, The Alliance of Confessing Evangelicals, and Harvest USA, where he also served as Executive Director and then President from 2012-2019. Tim lives with his wife and daughter just outside of Philadelphia.
Children's Jubilee Fund is a 501(c)(3) organization established in 1997 to provide tuition grants to Christian schools in the Philadelphia metro area that serve lower-income students. These grants are then awarded by the schools as scholarships to students who meet income and residency guidelines. Each year, Jubilee provides hundreds of thousands of dollars in grants that, in turn, help hundreds of students in Philadelphia, Delaware, Montgomery, and Camden Counties achieve their God-given academic and personal potential. Children's Jubilee Fund is an entirely donor-supported organization.